Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cleanse Days 4-6

The last few days of our cleanse have gone great and we've felt very energized.  We've quickly learned what foods we like from the book and stuck to them.  For the most part we've written off soup, because many of the recipes are cold and very bland, which is somewhat depressing because soup is one of my favorite comfort foods.  Fortunately though, there is a recipe for butternut squash bisque that we are trying this week and I can't wait!

There have been some trying situations for me this week- the major one being the Chinese take-out feast that I witnessed at work on Friday.  Luckily I brought a stir fry that day, so having an asian dish helped tremendously.  But there were a few times when someone asked "Who didn't get an egg-roll?" or "Who wants a fortune cookie?" and I had to bite my tongue and continue to eat my food.  I did however open a cookie to see my fortune, and as tempted as I was to taste a little piece of it, I was able to simply drop it into the trash.  Also, I was pretty busy today working and driving around running errands and shopping, which always makes me hungry.  It seemed like everywhere I turned the fast food signs got a little brighter.

Apparently Adam has had some cravings himself.....

He was pretty proud of himself when he came home from work with two packages of sugar free gum- strawberry shortcake and mint chocolate chip flavored.  It's never mentioned in the book if we can or can't have gum, but we said who cares- we need to indulge a little!!

We just got back from grocery shopping for the week, and I'm glad to have that over with.  I could see the checker sigh as she looked down the belt at all the produce bags we had, but by the end she said "Wow, I wish I lived at your house."  I'm sure it seemed like we had enough to feed a family of four, but those vegetables get used up quickly when they're part of every meal.

For those of you that may be curious about what exactly is included in our daily meals, below is an example of one our meal plan for a day, and what all those meals include.  The goal is that everything be organic, but it's not always possible, especially if you don't feel like fighting the crowds at Whole Foods on the weekends.

Breakfast- Mango and Coconut Milk Smoothie (when I drank this it brought me back to our favorite honeymoon drink in Mexico, Mango Daiquiris- they really taste similar, less the rum of course)
1 cup Mango Chunks (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup Pineapple Chunks (fresh or frozen)
1-1/2 cups Coconut Milk (we make our own because it's easy and more fresh)
1 to 2 teaspoons Agave Syrup
1/2 cup ice

Snack- Dry almonds and fresh Blueberries

Lunch- Stir-Fried Vegetables and Chicken with Buckwheat Noodles
2 cups Buckwheat noodles
Sea Salt
Sesame Oil
2 Carrots
1 cup Broccoli florets
1 cup Snap peas
1 cup sliced Bok Choy
1 cup sliced Zucchini
3 Scallions
2 cloves Garlic
1/4 cup sliced Ginger
1 tablespoon Nama Shoyu or Wheat-free Tamari (tastes like soy sauce)
2 grilled Chicken Breasts

Snack- Pistachios and fresh Rasberries

Dinner- Apple, Ginger, Lemon and Spinach Juice
2 Green Apples
1/2 inch piece of fresh Ginger
1 Lemon, peeled
1 cup Spinach leaves

My total net weight loss thus far= 5 lbs, and I don't think that will fluctuate much going forward.  Unfortunately, Adam's lost a bit more and he's not happy about it.   He may end up eating more for dinner during the third week to increase his daily calories, but I plan to keep it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment